Thursday, May 3, 2012

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

So I'm kind of a chocolate fanatic...

I'm serious, I think I may have a very unhealthy obsession with it.  I crave it every single day and if I don't have it when my craving is at it's full,  I may go a little crazy.

So there is nothing wrong with sneaking some chocolate in a healthy loaf of banana bread, right?  I mean, at least I can tell myself that I am sort of being healthy while I am indulging in my daily chocolate craving.

Believe me, it makes the chocolate-lover like me feel better about their obsession.  Plus, this bread is so good that you won't just be picking out the chocolate chips.



Ingredients:
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
3/4 TBS vegetable oil
3/4 TBS vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
3/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (reserve 1/4 cup for topping) (optional)

Topping:
1 TBS granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place pecans on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 5-6 minutes.  (If making bread without nuts, disregard pecan instructions).  While nuts are toasting, mash bananas in a small bowl and set aside.


Once nuts are done toasting, take out and set aside.  Cool and chop.  Reserve 1/4 cup for the top of the bread.


In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs for about 5 minutes until fluffy. 


Add mashed bananas, applesauce, oil, and vanilla.  Blend together.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.


 Slowly add in the flour mixture to the banana mixture and blend together.  Stir in chocolate chips and cooled pecans.


Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Pour in batter.  In a small bowl combine sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  Sprinkle reserved chopped pecans all over the top of the loaf.  Top the batter and pecans with the sugar mixture.


Bake bread for one hour at 350 degrees F or until toothpick comes out clean and cool.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment