Friday, April 13, 2012

Chicken Tacos

The other night I thought it would be a good idea to have a fiesta.

Believe me, it was the best idea I have had in a long time.

Lets just say, I thoroughly enjoyed myself by stuffing my face with all of the delicious food that surrounded me.  One of those tasty foods being my tacos.  Now everyone likes a good taco, but these are something else.  They have all of the qualities of a perfect taco.  The crispy tortilla, the juicy meat, the fresh toppings- I promise, it will be hard to only eat one.

These tacos may look like hard work, but honestly, I think my dog could make them.  Okay, that might be a little exaggerated, but really.  They are so easy to make and so worth it.

So, go buy some tequila now and call it an excuse to throw a fiesta tonight.  I promise, you'll be thanking me.


Ingredients:
4 large chicken breasts, poached and shredded
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 TBS worcestershire sauce
2 cups low fat orange juice
2 tsp cumin
5 peppers in adobo sauce
6 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups cilantro, chopped
kosher salt, to taste
Tortillas

Toppings for tacos: (Optional)
My Guacamole
My Pico De Gallo
Low fat sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
To poach the chicken, place chicken breasts in a single layer in a pot. Pour chicken broth over the breasts, covering just until all breasts are submerged in liquid.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 20-30 min until cooked through.


Once cooked through, place on plate and shred chicken breasts.


Set aside.  In a blender, add worcestershire sauce, orange juice, cumin, peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, cilantro and salt and blend.  Make sure every ingredient has blended thoroughly.



Add chicken to a large dutch pan and pour marinade over chicken.  Stir until all chicken is coated with marinade.  Heat chicken over medium heat until hot.  



Take a tortilla and crisp both sides over high heat on stove top.  With open burners like this, they burn quick so watch very carefully.


To assemble, what I claim to be, the perfect taco, spread my guacamole all over the warm, crispy shell.  Next, I add a liberal amount of chicken over the guac.  Then, I top fresh pico de gallo, cheddar cheese, and sour cream over the chicken.  Wallah! The perfect taco!



No comments:

Post a Comment