Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Open-Faced Green Onion & Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Sliders

So if the name isn't a mouthful enough, just wait until you get an actual mouthful of this delicious meaty cheesey goodness.

The other day I was shopping at Sprouts and came across these sliders.  Obviously, I am obsessed with cooking my own meals, rather than buying pre-made items, (I mean where is the fun in that?!) sooo I figured I would create my own!  I also love cooking myself, because I can control what type of meat (extra lean), cheese (reduced-fat), and how much salt (a tiny amount) goes into the dish!


Anyways, these burgers may be tiny but they are definitely not tiny in flavor.  The cheese and onions within the meat give these babies a whole 'nother dimension. Oh, and the cheese on top just adds more cheesy-salty goodness.

These little guys cook faster than the average burger, so you won't be sitting on the edge of your seat, drooling while you wait patiently, smelling that delicious-smokey-cheesey-peppery smell that perfumes the air every time you make burgers.  You know exactly what I am talking about..

So, I mean if I haven't persuaded you enough yet.. just wait.  You will la-la-love these.




Ingredients:
1 lb. 80/20 lean ground beef
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
2 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese, broken up into 1 1/2-in square pieces

Directions:
In a large bowl add your ground beef.  Roll up your sleeeve and take off any jewelry on your hands/arms because you are about to get up close and personal with this meat... So much fun, I know.


Add your shredded cheese, sliced green onions, pepper, garlic powder, and salt.


Stick your hands in the bowl and just start mixing all of the ingredients together.  Make sure every ingredient is really incorporated into the meat.  Don't over mix (or keep blending the ingredients together after they are already incorporated), this will cause your meat to become tough.  


Take about a palm-full of meat in your hand, round the meat into a ball and then flatten.  I made 12 patties, but depending on your preference of slider-size, this number may vary.  Make sure each patty is roughly the same size so they can cook evenly!  Also, if you make this earlier in the day, make sure you cover patties with plastic wrap and put in fridge until you are ready to grill!


Once ready to grill, turn grill on to medium-high heat.  I grilled my burgers inside but feel free to grill outside as well!  Spray grill liberally will non-stick olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle freshly ground pepper onto both sides of each slider.  Place the burgers the grill and cook for about 7-10 minutes on each side or until they are done to your preference.  But WAIT there is one more step...


A few minutes before you take your burgers off the grill, place a small piece of cheese on each slice and allow it to melt onto the burger.  Take off the heat and EAT! (Preferably with sweet potato fries- my fave :) )




1 comment: